The beauty of small town living...

My photo
Bomont, West Virginia, United States
When you have no idea what you're doing, somebody else will ... or at least make something up & run with it.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

An Apple A Day ...

Anderson Mullins was an apple-loving farmer who lived on his family's farm in Odessa - right next door to Bomont, on the fringes of Porters Creek.

In the fall of 1905, Anderson noticed a crop of yellow apples on a tree that he hadn't been planted, which must have grown from seed. He sent samples to Stark Brothers Nursery in April 1914, calling the fruit "Mullins Yellow Seedling."

Paul Stark traveled by train and horse & buggy from Louisiana, Missouri to the Mullins farm. He was so impressed by the apple - which he renamed the GOLDEN DELICIOUS - that he bought the tree & the surrounding 900 acres of land for $5,000. He then paid $100/year to the Mullins family for the next 30 years or so to make sure it was properly maintained & nurtured.

The tree survived until 1958. The sign that marks the spot still stands.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Tamoly Rose, just noticed your not on the psd anymore, darn if you wer'nt a pretty sight to look at. As far as them apple trees in porters creek, they are not the only ones in Clay Co. I got one out here by my drive way well over a 100 years old, and still produces for whats left of the ancient tree.

ROSE said...

I just resigned my position Tuesday night, so it's probably not public knowledge yet. Not that many people care, anyway. It still managed to be a hard decision to make, though. I'm sure they'll replace me with somebody much prettier. ;)

I wonder how many Golden Delicious trees there actually were to start with? Just because Bomont had a good marketer, that doesn't mean the market was cornered.

Or something like that.

Anonymous said...

I think MP should be voted back on the PSD. She has experience you know.

Anonymous said...

And I think the only person who might think that would be MP!!

ROSE said...

& AW.

Anonymous said...

Rose resigned cause MP was going to slap her silly to. Just for practice and to keep in shape, round is a shape you know.

Anonymous said...

Sure, round is a shape. Lumpy, on the other hand isn't really a shape.

Anonymous said...

butt dumpy should be

Anonymous said...

I heard she resigned to because she DID slap somebody silly.

ROSE said...

Hey! I haven't slapped anybody (who doesn't live in my house) since 7th grade!! & I only did it then because I loved him so.

Anonymous said...

apples are pretty expensive anymore. but tell me why?
the federal reserve banks [privately owned banks] are all allowed to raise or lower their interest rates at the same time. isn't there some law against businesses controlling prices by cooperating. called price fixing.
being private banks, how do federal reserve banks get their greenbacks. what do they give the gov. in exchange for these promissory notes, secured by the taxation of the people.
isn't all money released through the federal reserve banks?

Anonymous said...

Sirhenry60 you're smart and evasive you didn't answer any of my questions. do you need time to look up some answers and info.

ROSE said...

Apples cost a lot because people are willing to pay a lot for them. If we don't buy them when they're expensive, they always get marked down, right?

I don't know squat about banking.

Cider is always best when somebody else makes it.

Oranges don't love me.

We don't have jugs around our house. We have sippy pouches.

I so love candy apples.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rose, is there such a thing as Big Sippy Pouches, I want some!